Sunday, June 6, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

With the short work week and various end of the school year functions, last week was hectic. Three day weekends are great, except then you have to cram 5 days of work into 4. I had a mental idea of what I would do for dinners and meals, but never wrote it out. And with the arrival of summer break, this is when I think we tend to start to fall off the wagon with being organized. What I mean by that is in our house we tend to plan some, but are more spontaneous with last minute activities like barbecues with friends, heading to a lake or a river, going on an overnight trip, etc. It's what makes summer so great, but yet it sometimes makes it more expensive (eating out) or a little more chaotic when it comes to what goes on in the kitchen. It's hot and I find that after a day outdoors, I come home and the last thing I want to do is be in front of a stove or even the grill. So my goal for this summer is to keep the fun, but be more mindful of our budget and think twice before choosing take out over what's in the fridge or freezer. That may even mean not stocking up as much when I shop so that money is not spent on food that is wasted. It's going to most likely be less expense to run to the store for an ingredient than to eat out, but at least I don't spend on food that goes uncooked AND eat out. Right? I haven't run any numbers on this, but it just seems to make sense to me.

Menu for this week-

Monday- Cheap and Easy Turkey Stir Fry My go-to for our nights we have soccer practice.

Tuesday- Pictured above is grilled pizza from last summer. I plan to do our first grilled pizza of the summer this week. Everyday Dish has a recipe and a video so you can see how to put the dough on the grill. I would like to attempt my own dough, I just don't think I can do it this week. So I'll use some dough I purchase at the store.

Wednesday- Grilled Shrimp Kabobs, rice, salad. I usually just do a basic seasoning of lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper or Old Bay seasoning on the shrimp.

Thursday- Grilled Pork Chops, grilled peaches and veggies. Our produce box will come on Wednesday, but it doesn't look like it will contain any veggies I would grill. Except for the peaches. I will either steam some of the broccoli or maybe stir fry it.

Friday- Grilled Salmon Teriyaki, broccoli, rice- I love this recipe for making my own teriyaki sauce.

Saturday- We're attending a barbecue that's actually going to be a friendly contest, we can either bring something to grill and share or a side dish. I am undecided on what to bring. They said you could bring a side dish because the women said they don't grill. But I do and I'm leaning toward coming up with something to grill. But I've also got a few side dishes I really like and could bring one. Maybe I'll do both!

Sunday- Keeping this open because we have plans to be out part of the day and I'm betting we will have dinner out.

No comments:

Post a Comment