Monday, April 12, 2010

Menu Plan Monday (and thoughts on eating locally)


Monday already? Spring Break is over? I feel tired from the break that I need a break. We've been working on some household projects that are great, but it's such a pain how one project sort of spurs another. The house is cleaned, but still cluttered and it's going to get worse before it gets better. I've got to find new homes for a lot of stuff that's been hidden in closets and boxes. UGH.
I've also been thinking a lot about the debate between bargain shopping or eating better. In our society you can't easily do both. It's hard to argue when boxes of processed foods are often found 5 for $1 and fresh food is much more costly. Buying in bulk can save money, but how far did that food travel to get to you? Do you care more about how much you spend than the environmental impact your decision makes? Do you eat processed or convenience foods because it's what you can afford and you're just trying to get some food on the table? There is produce to be found that is inexpensive, but you've got to commit to cooking it or it goes to waste. I've been feeling inspired with watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. As someone who enjoys cooking from scratch, I have somehow cultivated my kids' palate for processed junk food. They don't always like what I make (although they generally do) but I know there's room for improvement. I'm someone who is not going to outlaw fast food or junk food in our house (I need McDonald's fries now and then!) but I'm seriously considering challenging myself to first use up a lot of what we have stored up in the freezer and pantry and then primarily shopping at Whole Foods, farmer's markets and my usual CSA produce delivery. Except there's Costco, which I love and will have to be more thoughtful about what we purchase there in terms of food. We'll see...I don't see this as something you jump right into. You transition yourself into these changes; a few at a time.

Onto the meal plan for the week!

Monday- Bolagnese sauce with parpadelle pasta, spinach salad
Tuesday- Glazed pork chops, steamed artichoke, quinoa with feta cheese
Wednesday- Chicken with green curry sauce, rice, vegetable stir fry
Thursday- Shrimp scampi, sauteed spinach
Friday- whole roasted chicken with potatoes and vegetables
Saturday- turkey burgers, sweet potato fries, steamed artichoke
Sunday- Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment