Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Changes?

So for the past 3 weeks I have done some personal chef-type cooking.  I use that term loosely because I am not a professional chef, I am a home cook.  But I have slightly changed my In-Home service where I cook once a month with a client to help them get organized and stock up on some meals for the month, to come in and cook once a week an almost full set of breakfast, lunch and dinner.  These people wanted to reduce their eating out and their habit of running to the store to pick up a meal.  Plus lose weight and stick to a certain food plan.  I'm not a dietitian or nutritionist, I don't pretend to be.  I just read the material and then laid it out for them.  They don't have to think as much about what to eat or to eat the right thing because all their choices are good.  Each week I go to their house and cook.  I make breakfast items, prep salad, cook vegetables and then make several entrees that last them for multiple dinners and lunches.  If I were to attempt to cook in advance for a full week in my house, I don't know if the fridge has the space.  But in their household of 2, they typically have leftovers of every meal, so they can pack some for lunch as well as eat it again for dinner another night.  This picture below is what their fridge looks like when I'm all done.  I actually posted this a couple weeks ago.

It's about 2 rows deep of containers.  That week you can see salmon that I prepped but didn't cook so that they could fix that fresh.    Sometime in the next few weeks I'll post some more about this with comments from them about how it's going.



So this is a great little gig for me.  I'm enjoying it and they're enjoying it.  It makes me think about if I should consider expanding this service offering.  I still really like helping people get organized in their kitchen, plan their meals and inspire them to enjoy cooking.  It's what I feel passionate about.  I am hesitant to become a full-time personal chef because it would leave me less time to do the consultant work.  I've toyed with the idea of culinary school many times.  Back in high school I actually had decided that I was going to be a chef.  But in college my interest shifted from restaurants to hotels and resorts and I left cooking as a hobby.  Then again when I was facing the transition of looking for a new career I considered it again, but then I was given the inspiration to create e-mealplanning.  So do I keep pushing on with meal planning and consulting or just see where the personal chef opportunities take me?  I tend to want to keep closer control and not just let things unfold totally on their own.  But I'm a bit of a control freak, so maybe I don't know what I should do.  :-)

If you have thoughts or your own interpretation of what you see from me.  Please share.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. love the post which is very useful and i like to read this post always.

    maldives holidays

    ReplyDelete