Monday, May 10, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

It's spring and strawberries are plentiful here. I love strawberries, always have. Even fake strawberry flavored candy, drinks or scented anything strawberry.
Many years ago, when I was about 6 or 7, I broke out with hives after eating fresh strawberry shortcake. I was miserable. I had another outbreak eating strawberry ice cream purchased at the store. I spent probably 10 years avoiding strawberries because I was allergic. Then, in high school biology I learned that sometimes the body will build up the immunity to resist the allergens in some foods. So I tried eating strawberries again. And I didn't break out in hives. So I was reunited with my beloved favorite fruit. I'm happy to have several strawberry fields close to home, with stands out front to buy them 6 baskets for $10. And we've been eating them and cooking up a storm with them. This week a little basket of strawberries grown in Oxnard will arrive in my Farm Fresh to You produce box. We'll probably have to make a stop at one of the strawberry stands as well. My girls are eating them all the time and I'm putting them in salads.

This week we have more time for cooking dinner. No projects to work on all night long, no additional sports beyond the usual, no meetings at night. And warm weather, so I hope to clean up the grill or come to terms with how worn out it is and get a new one. We'll see..

Monday- Soccer has us out at dinner, so we try to eat a big snack and then a late dinner. I'm taking the leftover beef roast from a week ago and putting it in the crock pot with barbecue sauce to make sandwiches and prepping a salad.

Tuesday- Coconut Peanut Sauce Beef, broccoli, rice

Wednesday- Produce delivery day so I'll make a stir fry using some of the veggies and some chicken. It's quick and I can make it before going out to soccer practice and then eat it when we get home.

Thursday- Grilled salmon, spring salad with strawberry avocado dressing, grilled asparagus. I'm also going to make this mango strawberry salsa with cinnamon tortilla chips.

Friday- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas, salad

Saturday- Night out!

Sunday- grilled pork chops, steamed artichokes, lemony potato avocado salad

Some breakfast ideas- Late last week I made banana muffins, and we've got a few more to have this week. But I'm also going to make more muffins, but with strawberries. I've also got a nice supply of my favorite yogurt, Brown Cow cream top. SO. GOOD. Another good one- take a whole wheat tortilla, spread some peanut butter, sprinkle with chopped fruit, roll it up and eat.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment