Friday, October 22, 2010

Meals for Week of October 25, 2010

I think Fall is finally here.  I know it has been for many parts of the country but here in California we continued to have a heat wave.  But now it's been cooler and rained a little and so now it really feels like Fall weather food.
I don't have any helpful or interesting articles to share this week.  But I did want to pass along a few links for Halloween treats that might provide inspiration.

Martha Stewart's Halloween Cookie Photo Gallery is always fun to look at.  Many cookies have some elaborate decorations so they may be a little labor intensive, but they are cool to look at.

Bakerella's Halloween Cake Pops- SO ADORABLE.  The next time I make cake pops myself I will document how it goes.  I have not reached the adorable skill level yet.  Not by a long shot.  But the actual process of making the pops (or balls) is not difficult.

If you want to put a little treat bags together and make it a little healthier try this Trick or Treat Trail Mix.

Meals for Week of October 25, 2010

American Chop Suey- This recipe has a crazy name, I haven’t read the article in Relish Magazine that accompanied it, but in any case, it’s an inexpensive and easy to prepare meal. 

Turkey Pumpkin Chili- A really unique twist on chili, but pumpkin pairs well with chili spices to create a sweet and smoky chili. 

Baked Rigatoni with Sausage, Butternut Squash and Kale- Make it healthier by looking for a nitrite-free sausage, but this is a complete meal with vitamin rich squash and kale. 

Black Bean Tostadas- Really easy meal that will be ready in 30 minutes.  It’s meatless as written or you can adapt it to use whatever you like.

Easy Slow Cooker Chili- I really like this recipe for chili in your Crock Pot.  It's interesting because it's not the recipe I use for chili I make on the stove, but I like it for the slow cooker. I have made it with or without the beer. 

Braised Chicken Thighs with Potatoes and Carrots- Another simple and easy slow cooker recipe.

Easy Shepherd’s Pie- I know I had a shepherd’s pie recipe last week, here’s another that is a bit more traditional and baked in the oven.

Yellow Split Pea and Sweet Potato Soup- Fantastic meatless soup that is still hearty.  Great fall flavors. 

Butternut Squash and Sage Lasagna- The combination of sage and butternut squash are so good!  Definitely use fresh or cooked store-bought noodles, don’t use the no-boil noodles.  Cut your prep time with using pre-cut squash.

Stir Fried Turkey in Lettuce Wraps- I love this because you can really just create whatever stir fry you want using the flavors you like.  Plus is quick and easy to make and fun to eat. 



Side Dishes/Desserts/Snacks

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds- In case you need some instructions to follow for roasting the seeds from your Halloween pumpkins.

Sautéed Kale with Toasted Cashews- You easily do this with spinach if you prefer, but give kale a chance.

Marshmallow Popcorn Balls- I have been making these for Halloween for quite a few years now.  I much prefer them over the traditional method.  You can make them more festive by mixing in Halloween M & M’s or other candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment