Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Meals for the Week of June 6, 2011

So, I'm trying to get back to cooking more at home (instead of heating my stock pile of frozen meals and various semi-homemade meals from Trader Joe's) and I'm trying to sit at my computer and get back to blogging.  I thought I would start easy and look back through my files and but together a list of great spring/early summer recipes.  Although if you're here in California, you might still like soups and stews to keep you warm in this cold and rainy weather!

A few things I wanted to share-

My other blog,
e-mealplanning recipes will get updated more frequently with more recipes from me plus product reviews. I'm a part of the FoodBuzz Tastemaker program so I will periodically have opportunity to try new products and share my thoughts.  I've got one I just added about those new yummy Magnum Ice Cream bars.

My very talented sister, Chef Elisa recently started her own blog, A Life in Pie.  The very first recipe was a fabulous peanut butter pie that is SO GOOD.  I made one for my family the day she posted the recipe.  I highly recommend it!
Yummy Peanut Butter Pie!

Meals for Week of June 6, 2011


Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia with Salsa- Very easy to make and quick to cook.  Try Trader Joe’s Corn Chile Salsa or a mango salsa instead of tomato salsa.

Curried Chicken with Mango Salad- You can broil or grill this Indian inspired chicken.  Serve with cous cous or quinoa on the side.

Romaine Salad with Orange, Feta and Beans- A salad with protein from beans can be a great low fat and vegetarian main dish.  You can boost the protein with the addition of chopped chicken or turkey.  Otherwise this could be a great salad to serve on the side.  It includes a dressing recipe; give it a try instead of using a bottled dressing.

Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti- Every now and then you need a casserole and this one is not overly creamy or cheesy.  We suggest just using fresh chopped onion and canned diced tomatoes instead of stewed.

Tortellini Primavera- This creamy pasta and vegetable dish is really very versatile.  It can also be something quick to make from the pantry/freezer meal using frozen pasta and vegetables.  But right now it’s a fresh spring dish using whatever vegetables are in season.  It’s slightly lower in fat than traditional pasta primavera because there is no cream.

Buttermilk Chicken Caesar Salad- A slightly different take on traditional Caesar salad using buttermilk as the dressing.

Shrimp Scampi- You can make the recipe exactly as written if you want that restaurant-style dish, or adapt it to suit your tastes; more garlic, less garlic, no wine, more lemon.  Make it your own!

Hamburger and Macaroni- This recipe is better than any processed box mix.  It’s also really easy to make.  Older kids can learn how to brown ground meat and boil pasta.  You can also use ground turkey and whole wheat pasta to make it healthier.


Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili-  Fantastic vegetarian meal, so unique with the combination of the sweet potatoes and the spices.

Lemony Potato Avocado Salad- A different take on potato salad.  Great for spring.  Delicious and fresh tasting.

Asparagus Snap Pea and Avocado Pasta- Pair this with the lemony chicken drumsticks and you have a great spring meal.  Serve a small side portion for dinner and then take leftovers as your lunch.  Substitute whole grain pasta for good healthy carbs.


Peach Mango Popsicles- I’m seeing mangoes on sale everywhere.  With the weather warming up this is a cool and healthy treat and a great activity to make with the kids.  You don’t need an actual popsicle molds, you could use cups or empty yogurt containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment